Household Hazards for Pets

 

Common foods and household products in the home are safe for human residents, but many are toxic to pets.  If ingested by our four legged friends, these everyday products can cause them to become very ill, or worse, die.  

 

Pets are curious by nature so if something looks interesting or smells good to them, they will devour it. Taking proper precautions to store potentially deadly items, such as medication, foods and even plants, out of your pets reach, will help ensure their safety.

 

Food

Pets are considerably smaller than their human owners so even the smallest amount of food can wreak havoc them. Many everyday foods can cause digestive issues, kidney damage and/or breathing issues if consumed by our pets. It’s best to keep food out of their reach, especially during gatherings when you may be busy entertaining guests.

Avocados, grapes, raisins, onions and beverages that contain caffeine and alcohol are among the most harmful. Chocolate, is by in far the biggest no-no.  The caffeine and theobromine found in chocolate can cause seizures, dehydration and lead to heart issues.

 

Medication

Medication is meant to cure humans of their ailments but can have the opposite effect on our 4-legged friends.  This is true for both prescription as well as over the counter medicine.  Medicine should never be left out where curious pets can access it. Child proof caps and blister packs are no match for a determined pet.

Vet prescribed medication is safe for your pets when taken at the proper dosage. Be sure to follow the dosing schedule you were provided with and store it where your pet can’t accidentally ingest an additional dose or more.

 

Plants

Plants are beautiful and most have a sweet aroma making them great to have in your home. Pets are attracted to the look, scent and even their unique texture. Unfortunately, ingesting the leaves of the plant can cause diarrhea, vomiting, dehydration and even depression to our pets.

Aloe vera, ivy, philodendron and cladium are a few of the more popular houseplants that are poisonous to pets. No need to get rid of them completely from your home. Consider instead hanging them or placing them on a shelf or table high enough where your pet can’t explore.

 

Outdoor Dangers

Getting outdoors for fresh air and exercise is great for both you and your pet but beware of the toxicity in your surroundings. As you prep for warmer weather, mulching is a must so select a pet friendly variety. Composting is great for the environment but as a breeding ground for mold and bacteria can be deadly to curious pets. Select a compost container with a locking lid to avoid potential issue.  Insecticides, pesticides and fertilizers not in use should be stored on a high shelf or locked cabinet in the garage or shed.

 

Should your pet accidentally ingest something they shouldn’t, give your vet a call immediately for further instruction.